Although men tend to be less open about it, they are as concerned about weight issues as women. Whatever the reason, gaining excess weight is no healthy way of living a life. Happily, there are healthy ways of losing unneeded pounds and kilos!It comes as no surprise that in most cases weight issues arise from improper nutrition. Particularly, they result from improper choice of proteins and amino-acids. Many foods contain amino-acids, which are naturally produced in the body and therefore are best eliminated from our diet. Amino-acids, which are not produced in our body (essential amino-acids) make up the structure of proteins that serve as a kind of construction material for our muscles. Dieticians who focus on weight control advise men to stick to so called whole food diets. The recommendation is based on an approach, which suggests a transition from food that is rich in fat proteins and carbohydrates to those containing more fiber and lean proteins. It is not about switching from a protein to a non-protein diet. It is about switching to a healthier type of protein (complete protein). This approach should help you reduce the intake of calories and keep the body fed at the same time. Most important, these amino-acids play a key role in the formation of muscle mass.
Whole FoodsDefinitely, adjusting a diet will take a bit of research and consideration. There is some basic knowledge on complete protein food types, which contain lean protein and therefore are lower in calories. These include grains (rice, buckwheat, quinoa, soy, flax seeds, etc.), diary foods (milk, sour cream, eggs, yogurt, etc.), poultry, meat, and fish. Fruits, vegetables, and leafy greens are musts for any healthy diet as well! The foods mentioned above rank highest in most healthy food charts. Now, let me brief you on some of them.
- Eggs are much healthier than many of us think. The myth about cholesterol risks is being gradually dispelled. Studies and many individuals’ personal experiences suggest that eggs are rich in healthy fats, which provide lean proteins. For this reason, they guarantee satiety with relatively low intake of calories.
- Along with proteins and healthy fats, yoghurt is a source of healthy bacteria. Regular intake of this product guarantees optimal bacterial balance in the gut and helps deal with consequences of poisoning and other intestinal disorders.
- Meat is not as bad as it is said to be either. Particularly, chicken/turkey breast and lean beef contain sufficient amounts of healthy fats and proteins to provide an optimal level of calories and reduce cravings.
- Leafy greens (spinach, kale, salads, etc.) are low in calories yet extremely rich in fiber, vitamins, antioxidants, minerals, etc. Cruciferous vegetables (cauliflower, Brussels sprouts, broccoli, cabbage, etc.), apart from these substances, contain lean proteins.
- Although there is a degree of controversy over potato’s influence on body weight, there are reasons not to cut down on it. White potatoes contain potassium, a nutrient, which improves the functioning of vessels and adjusts blood pressure. Starch is another healthy natural ingredient, which is often wrongfully discarded as useless in terms of weight loss.
- Undoubtedly, fish (particularly, salmon) and other types of seafood are among the healthiest weight-loss foods. They are rich in iodine, healthy fats, proteins, and Omega-3 fatty acids. These foods improve metabolism, because iodine is a kind of fuel for the thyroid gland.
- Grains (not refined!) are an excellent source of protein and fiber and hence they guarantee satiety without having to take excess calories.
This is not a complete list of so called weight loss foods. Choosing a diet is a highly individual matter. If you are faced with the need of losing pounds, you should be ready for a good deal of thinking and research. In most cases, adjusting a diet requires a professional look at one’s physical state. For this reason, it is highly advisable for anyone dealing with weight issues to stay in touch with his health care provider.