Allergic to Mold

Mold is a fungus participating in decaying dead material. It destroys the nutrients in dead organic matter splitting them in simpler forms, which it uses for nutrition. Mold helps to get rid of dead matters from the Earth. People frequently ingest one or another form of mold. Most humans do not experience any side effects. But, some individuals have mold allergy. Allergic reactions are caused by the spores released by the molds.

When mold spores enter the organism via the respiratory system, they induce allergic reactions. The immunity produces the substances which evolve the symptoms seen in people allergic to mold:

  • Skin rash, hives
  • Watery eyes
  • Nasal congestion
  • Runny nose
  • Chronic cough
  • Headache
  • Wheezing

Treatment options for people allergic to mold

Actually, the best solution for patients allergic to mold is avoiding any contact with the fungus. However it is almost impossible to eliminate mold from one’s environment as the spores are microscopic and are easily carried by air. There are special medications useful for treating mold allergy.

Nasal sprays are used to cure the symptoms of mold allergies in the respiratory tract. Antihistamines alleviate watery eyes, runny nose and itching. They block histamine receptors thus preventing the appearance of symptoms. Decongestants help to clear out congestion caused by allergy to mold.

Preventive measures

  • It is necessary to minimize the risks of contacting the fungus.
  • Keep windows and doors closed in the periods when there is high possibility of mold spores dissemination in the air. This period includes late summer and autumn. In cold climate it is necessary to be careful of spores in the late winter too.
  • Use air conditioners with filters trapping allergens.
  • Make sure that the plants in the house are free of mold.
  • Damp areas in your house need to receive enough sunlight and should be well ventilated.
  • Molds grow commonly in moist areas: storerooms and closets, under-sink cabinets, basements, garbage cans, etc. Take measures for eliminating mold from your house.
  • Wear dust masks when cleaning.
  • Never smell foods which might contains mold as you can sniff in the spores of mold. Pickles, mushrooms, cheese, canned juices and bread are common products that are often contaminated with mold.

Luckily, there are numerous remedies for people allergic to mold. However, remember that prevention is always better as it protects from the development of allergic symptoms like headache and runny nose.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *