Vitamins And Minerals For Good Eye Health
Sore and tired eyes are common problems in computer users. Many of us spend the whole day in front of a computer. They take the 1st place in having tired eyes.
If we lived in an ideal world, we would receive all the vitamins and minerals from food. But, nowadays people feel the depletion of nutrients. Food labeled as organic has more iron, vitamin C, phosphorus and magnesium, and less of dangerous nitrates and pesticides.
Not all of us have access to organic foods. Therefore, it is always good to take vitamin supplements to get the missing nutrients.
Here is the list of herbs, vitamins and phytonutrients to promote eye health and avoid different problems:
- Bilberry is used for eye and gastrointestinal health. The active components are anthocyanosides, which are antioxidants improving the blood flow in the eye capillaries.
- Vitamin A is crucial for good vision, and is helpful in preventing cataracts.
- Grapeseed is beneficial for the proper functioning of the peripheral circulation in the eyes. Grapeseed is known to strengthen the eye capillaries.
- Eyebright is a perfect home remedy for eyes. Steep some in hot water and let it infuse, remove the herb to cool the liquid. When it is cool, you should utilize it as a compress.
- Omega 3 essential fatty acids reduce the risk of dry eyes.
- Lutein is a plant nutrient commonly called carotenoids. Other examples are alpha and beta carotene. Carotenoids give vegetables and fruit their colors. As a matter of fact, fruits rich in color generally contain more carotenoids.
- In fact, lutein, alpha and beta carotene are usually converted in vitamin A. Lutein is present in a very rich concentration in the eye macula. Generally, lutein is taken to help in the prevention of macular degeneration. This eye disorder is a great problem for individuals over 40. Unfortunately, macular degeneration may cause total blindness. And lutein is famous for its antioxidant properties.
- There are some other treatments for dry eyes which include placing chamomile tea on the eyes after the tea bag has been already cooled. It is interesting to know that chamomile reduces swelling and redness around your eye.
- Actually, iced milk can be used as a compress to help your tired eyes. First of all, soak a gauze pad with cold milk (coolness is helpful for narrowing the blood vessels); the milk fat produces a soothing effect for sensitive skin.