Exercises that ensure eye health
Ensuring eye health is very important as it affects the eyesight of an individual.
Eyes also need exercises like other parts of the body. The eyesight depends partially on their moving ability of eyeballs. Eye exercises are important as they can cure three common problems such as strain, light sensitivity and blurred vision. Both the tension of eye and mind can be reduced through the eye exercise. Eye exercise is helpful in preventing nearsightedness and other eye diseases. Before starting eye exercises make sure you remove contact lenses, sunglasses and/or eyeglasses.
Some of the eye exercises that ensure eye health are presented here under:
- Sit in an upright position on a chair in front of a table and take a deep breath. Then rub your palms together to make them warm. Place your elbows on the table and keep your rubbed palms over your closed eyes. Touch your eyes with your palms and wait for a few minutes closing your eyes to feel the darkness. Then remove your palms from the eyes. Repeat this for two more times. This exercise is good for removing eyestrain.
- Sit on a chair in an upright position and relax the body. Then breathe in and out and slowly roll your eyes in a circular fashion in a clockwise direction. Then move the eyes in an anti-clockwise direction. Ensure to blink your eye between each exercise that helps in the moistening of your eyes. Repeat this five times at each session.
- Sit down and focus on large objects on the wall of the room. Keep the head still and notice the outlines of those objects. Move your eyes around each object in the room.
- Another excellent exercise is to focus your eyes on something that is close. After several seconds, take a look away from the object to an object far away. Focus on the object that is far away for several seconds and then change the focus to a closer object. Repeat these for few more times.
- Another exercise is to sit upright and breathe deeply through out the exercise. Place your left index finger in front of your nose and focus on your finger using both eyes. Then, move the finger slowly away from the nose until it reaches your arm’s length. Then bring the finger close and move back out again. After that, move your finger to the left so that it comes parallel to your shoulder. Focus on the finger using both eyes. While watching your moving finger, you should not move your head. Instead of moving your head, move your eye muscles. Repeat the process with your right index finger also.
- Close your eyes tightly for about 5 seconds and relax. Then widely open your eyes for about 5 seconds and relax. Repeat this process for 5 times.
- Sit in an upright position and look up for 5 seconds and relax. Then look down for 5 seconds and relax. Repeat the process for 5 times.
Eye exercises are important because most of the eye problems are due to the loss of tone in the muscles of eyes. To maintain eye health you have to gently massage your eyelids and the surrounding areas, wash the eyes frequently, enough sleep and consume enough vitamin A.