Mediterranean diet includes all the basics of healthy eating and is called so because it has characteristics of Southern Mediterranean region which are Italy, Greece and Spain.
It includes mostly fruit, vegetables, also grains, as well as cereals, olive oil, and dairy products. This diet also presupposes some wine. Moreover, it is also recommended to combine the diet with some exercises such as walking, jogging, tennis, swimming, basketball, football, basketball, or dancing, or whatever else that gives you pleasure.
The most important compounds of the diet are vegetables and fruits, also seeds, nuts and whole grains. Do not forget about yogurt, seafood, wine (in moderation) and olive oil. Keep in mind also the following principles:
- As it was aforementioned vegetables, potatoes, fruits, grains, seeds, nuts, beans and breads are extremely important.
- Also choose and give preference to minimally processed, fresh and somewhere locally grown foods. They are generally rich in antioxidants and healthy micro-nutrients.
- No Mediterranean diet can do without olive oil. Meanwhile it is recommended that all other types of fats and oils should be refrained from.
- You should also consume some yogurt and cheese in moderation throughout the day being on this diet.
- The same refers to some moderate amounts of poultry and fish; the latter, however, should be given preference.
Once again, fruits are important and therefore it is hard to find healthier dessert. Still, some saturated fats and sweets in small amounts are recommended also in moderation.
Do not forget about red meat from time to time. Combine it with red wine in the amounts of 1-2 glasses a day.
Here is the list of the most common foods in Mediterranean diet is the following:
– Fruits: avocados, olives and grapes, etc;
– Also: rice, pasta, bread, polenta, couscous, potatoes;
– Vegetables: eggplant, broccoli, spinach, tomatoes, garlic, pepper;
– Also: mushrooms, capers and beans;
– Nuts: walnuts, almonds, white beans, chick peas, lentils, peanuts and other beans;
– As well as: olive oil, yogurt, cheese;
– Fish: sardines, shellfish, etc;
– Poultry, eggs and chicken;
– Meat: lamb and veal;
– Do not forget about some ice cream, pastries and cookies.
This diet has got a lot of benefits: it improves general health in the first place and leads to a healthy weight loss, blood fats, pressure and sugar. Moreover, you are more likely to protect your brain. What is more is that people are less likely to develop Alzheimer’s, also heart disease and cancer. Moreover monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fats are compounds of Mediterranean diet and it is good because the latter consist of linolenic acid (a type of omega-3 fatty acids) and it, in its turn, reduce the levels of triglycerides and also improve the work of blood vessels. Also, fruit and vegetables are rich in vitamin as well as minerals, and other nutrients such as fibers and antioxidants.