In average an overweight person drinks, eats and sleeps weight loss which means he or she thinks of nothing except for weight loss. Although they may find numerous excuses, yet they can’t find a reason to follow a balanced diet. So, prepare to follow an amazing diet named Atkins diet. The food list in Atkins diet can help you deal with the process of losing weight.
Dr. Atkins suggests eating the following items.
• All fish, including tuna, trout, sole, catfish, salmon, sardines, snapper, flounder, herring and some other fish.
• Fish should be fully unprocessed.
• Cold water fish are preferable.
• Pregnant women should be careful.
• Chicken, duck, cornish hen, goose, ostrich, emu, quail, pheasant, turkey in any quantity.
• Meat should be unprocessed.
• Avoid dark meat.
• Oysters, clams, mussels, crabmeat, squids and shrimps should be eaten following the diet rules.
• Imitation products should be off limits.
• Oysters and mussels are high in carbohydrates so you should count them. The limit is 3-4 ounce daily.
• Lamb, beef, ham, bacon, pork, mutton, venison, veal are allowed.
• The meat is to be unprocessed.
• Ham, bacon, other processed meat should be avoided.
• Meat that is nitrate free is preferable.
• Try to avoid breaded meat as well as meat which is served with sauces high in carbohydrates.
• Organ meats should be limited to 4 ounce per day.
• Real eggs (duck, quail, goose, chicken) are allowed.
• In Atkins diet eggs are used as the staple breakfast as they are rich in nutrients.
• Yolks are not allowed in most diets but you may consume them in Atkins diet plan.
Dairy and Fat Products
• Blue cheese (0.7 gr. net carb) 1 oz. a day.
• Cheddar (0.0 gr. net carb) 1/2 cup a day.
• Sheep, cow, goat cheese (0.3 gr. net carb) – 1 oz. a day.
• Cream cheese (0.8 gr. net carb) – 1 oz. a day.
• Feta (1.2 gr. net carb) – 1 oz. a day.
• Gouda (0.6 gr. net carb) – 1 oz. a day.
• Mozzarella (0.6 gr. net carb) – 1 oz. a day.
• Parmesan cheese (0.2 gr. net carb) – 1 tablespoon a day.
• Swiss cheese (1.0 gr. net carb) – 1 oz. a day.
• Diet cheeses, processed cheese food, cheese spreads, whey cheese are not allowed.
• Soft and hard cheeses are both permitted.
• Soy cheese is permitted.
• Sour cream, light and heavy cream, butter are appropriate.
• Mayonnaise without sugar is permitted.
• The dose is 1 tablespoon.
• Dairy products are to be full-fat and low in carbohydrates.
• Yogurt is not allowed.
Fats and Oils
• Vegetable oils, nut oils, olive oil, seed oils allowed.
• Soybean, canola, safflower, sesame, sunflower, walnut, grape seed oils are permitted.
• Oils should not reach very high temperatures when cooking.
• Use olive oil only to saute.
• Sesame or walnut oil can be used for dressing salads and cooked veggies; do not cook with them.
There are 2 broad categories of vegetables: salad and other veggies.
All vegetables for salads are to be measured raw and eaten raw too. The body needs about 12 – 15 gr. of net carbs every day in vegetables.
• Romaine lettuce – 1/2cup
• Radishes – 10 raw
• Radicchio – 1/2cup
• Peppers – 1/2cup
• Parsley – 1tbsp
• Mushrooms – 1/2cup
• Iceberg lettuce – 1/2cup
• Jicama – 1/2cup
• Fennel – 1cup
• Escarole – 1/2cup
• Endive – 1/2cup
• Daikon – 1/2cup
• Cucumber – 1/2cup
• Chives – 1tbsp
• Chicory greens – 1/2cup
• Celery – 1 stalk
• Bok choy – 1cup
• Argula – 1/2cup
• Alfalfa sprouts – 1cup
These vegetables should be measured after they are cooked. These veggies are rich in carbohydrates. So they are to be consumed in accordance with the specifications.
• zucchini – 1/2cup
• water chestnuts(canned) – 1/2cup
• turnips – 1/2cup
• tomato(raw) – 1
• summer squash – 1/2cup
• spinach(raw) – 1/2cup
• peas – 1/2cup with pods
• pumpkin – 1/4cup
• onion(raw) – 1/4cup
• olives green – 5
• olives black – 5
• okra – 1/2cup
• leeks – 1/4cup
• kohlrabi – 1/2cup
• kale – 1/2cup
• hearts of palm – 1heart
• eggplant – 1/2cup
• collard greens – 1/2cup
• swiss chard – 1/2cup
• cauliflower(raw) – 1/2cup
• cabbage(raw) – 1/2cup
• brussels sprouts – 1/4cup
• broccoflower – 1/2cup
• broccoli (raw) – 1/2cup
• bamboo shoots(canned) – 1cup
• avocados (raw) – 1whole
• artichoke hearts (canned) – 1
• asparagus – 6 spears
• artichoke – 1/4 medium
Vegetables give essential nutrients. They also add variety to our everyday meals. However, do not forget to stay within the 12-15 grams of net carbohydrates.
• Italian dressing, vinegar, ranch, Caesar, olive oil, blue cheese dressing, sour cream and lemon juice allowed.
• The dressing is to be homemade.
• If bottled, it shouldn’t contain any sugar.
• Crumbled bacon, grated cheese, sauteed mushrooms and hard-boiled eggs are permitted.
Herbs and Spices
• Cayenne pepper, basil, dill, cilantro, garlic, oregano, pepper, sage, tarragon, as well as other condiments including soy sauce and ketchup allowed.
• If spice blends are utilized, be sure none of them has maltodextrin or sugar.
• The dose is 1 tbsp.
• Splenda or Sucralose, Equal or aspartame, Sweet’ n’ Roll or saccharine and ace-K or acesulfame potassium that is found in combination with some other artificial sweetener, allowed.
• Stevia is a natural sweetener and you can easily use it.
• Sweeteners should be non-sugar based.
• Sorbitol and Mannitol (sugar alcohols), maltose, sucrose, fructose, glucose, dextrose, as well as other sugars of this kind are not allowed.
• Corn syrups and honey are not permitted.
• Water (filtered, mineral, tap, spring) should be consumed in minimum 8-10 glasses every day.
• Decaffeinated tea/coffee, herbal tea (without sugar) are allowed.
• Caffeinated tea/coffee (1-2 cups) is permitted only if you are not an addict to it.
• Flavored seltzer, club soda (with no calorie flavors) is permitted in limited amounts.
• Clear broth
• Cream is appropriate unlike milk which is absolutely forbidden.
• Lemon/lime juice is permitted, though other fruit juices are prohibited.
• Alcohol should be avoided for the period of the first fortnight;.
• When the period is finished you are allowed to have a glass of wine or a low-carb beer ;
• In the later phases of the diet you can have a little spirit, mixed with water or club soda;
• Mind that all fruit juices and tonic water must be refrained from because there is too much of carbohydrates in them;
• And, also, it is a stated fact that alcohol will not allow you to lose weight quite effectively.
Atkins diet menu plan is presupposed for a period of 14 days. It includes the recommendations of how breakfast, lunch and dinner should be arranged during this period but the most important thing is that hte diet does not mean only fruits and veggies. In the range of products you will find such different products as i.e. grilled steak, or smoked salmons, or gelatin desserts and even Belgian waffles.
But the really crucial thing to remember is that if you stick to the diet (any diet) you should be serious about ‘what to’ and ‘what not to’. And it is also very important to understand that you really want to lose weight and decide to follow the diet consciously. Then, if you do, do not cheat and good luck to you.