There is an equation: people having diabetes type I are to consume 35 calories per 1 kg of body weight every day.
Patients with diabetes type II should follow 1500 calorie diet or 1800 calorie diet. The diet restricts the intake of calories and stimulates weight loss. Normal individuals need to consume about 40% carbohydrates daily, but diabetic patients it is different. They need complex carbohydrates.
Body mass index is also considered before planning a low carb diet. It may happen that people with larger muscle mass, may be recommended to follow 2200 calorie diet. A low carb diet is rich in vegetable; but it should be low in fruits, sweets and grains. However vegetables with high glycemic index should be avoided.
Leafy and green vegetables, raw vegetables, fibrous fruits are generally included into low carb diabetic diet. The recipes for this diet should be prepared with little fats and oils amounts and high proteins and fibers amounts. Low carb diet is effective for those with diabetes type II.
The foods listed below can be included in low carb diet for people with diabetes. The count of calories may collectively be 1600 calories with the daily intake of carbohydrates about 125g.
- green leafy vegetables (cooked, chopped, raw) 1/2 oz
- raw leafy vegetables – 1 cup
- vegetable stock or vegetable juice – 1/2 cup
- cooked potato, beans, sweet potato – 1/2 cup
- lean meats (lamb, beef, pork, skinless poultry, fish, shellfish) – 1 oz
- 1 egg
These options are available and surely not all meat types should be in the diet for one day.
- fat free milk – 1 cup
- fat free yogurt
- unsweetened soy milk – 1/2 cup
- decreased fat hard cheese – 1/2 cup
- low fat ricotta cheese – 1/2
You should consume much whole grains eliminating only white products.
Take 1 slice of whole wheat bread, muffin or 1/2 whole wheat bagel, cereal, brown rice or cooked pasta (1/2 cup), rice, corn (1/2 cup).
Nuts & Fruits:
- nuts with no shells – 1 oz
- peanut butter – 2 tbsp
- strawberries /blueberries – 1 cup
- 1/2 fruit pieces
- fruit juice (with no sugar) – 1 cup
- dried fruits – 1 cup
- clarified butter – 1tbsp
- canola oil – 1tsp
- safflower oil, olive oil, flaxseed oil
- low fat mayonnaise – 1tbsp
- vinegar 1tbsp with oil
- sour cream – 1tbsp
- 1/2 avocado
- olives – 5