A person who is suffering from insomnia experiences inability to sleep or waking up in the middle of the night to stay awake. If this condition persists for more than one month, it can be said that he suffers from chronic insomnia. In most cases, insomnia is caused due to the day-to-day worries and tensions or maybe because of more caffeine consumption.
A person who is suffering from insomnia experiences inability to sleep or waking up in the middle of the night to stay awake. If this condition persists for more than one month, it can be said that he suffers from chronic insomnia. In most cases, insomnia is caused due to the day-to-day worries and tensions or maybe because of more caffeine consumption.Such conditions are not serious but can cause loss of concentration and bad temper. But in the case chronic insomnia, it can disturb the normal flow of life that causes confusion, memory problems, mental tiredness, dizziness, emotional instability and headaches. It can be a sign of serious disorders including asthma, stress, arthritis, kidney, heart problems etc. So if you are suffering from insomnia, then don’t go for drugs that are associated with side effects. It is better to take some natural herbs or rely on home remedies, which does not have any side effects.
Some of the home remedies for insomnia are the following:
- Take Kava Kava just a few hours before bedtime that helps you to reduce stress, anxiety, and tension and also relax the muscles. Kava Kava helps you to get a deep sleep and more rest. This medicine can be used as a sedative by the intake of large dose.
- Hop helps to relieve the tension and calms the nerves. It also cures headaches and indigestion.
- Blend one teaspoon of chamomile flowers, hops and valerian root with one cup of boiling water. Soak these for 45 minutes and extract the liquid and drink one hour before going to bed.
- Valerian is helpful in the relaxation of nerves and muscles. It improves the quality of sleep as well as makes you to fall asleep easily. This remedy is good for mind activity, fatigue, fear and excitement caused by insomnia.
- Grind four nutmegs in to fine powder and consume this powder before sleep.
- Mash a ripe banana and put some roasted cumin seeds in to the mashed banana. Eat this after having dinner that will help to induce sleep.
- Honey with a cup of milk before going bed also induces sleep.
- Grind the root of pippali in to fine powder and consume one teaspoonful of this powder with some jaggery every night. Drink a glass of warm milk with this powder.
- Hot packs, hot footbath and hot fomentation to the spine before sleep are effective.
- Prepare Chutney of kokum fruits and immerse it in water. After some time, filter the water and add sugar to it in order to prepare sherbet. Drink this sherbet everyday after dinner.
- Peel a very ripe ash gourd and remove the seeds and inner pulp. Then make it in to small pieces and boil them. When it becomes soft, remove it from water and put them on a cloth. Allow draining of excess water, and add double the measure of honey. Some saffron and cardamom powder also should be added and make a soft paste of it. Consume this paste daily to get good sleep.