Vegan Protein Is Healthier than Meat?

An age-old dispute between vegetarians and people who prefer animal food is being discussed by many specialists. Scientists conduct various studies, trying to find out what protein is more useful, vegetable or contained in meat.

Image Credit: iStockphoto

Scientists from the University of California have new facts about what kind of protein is more useful – vegetable or meat. Here is their verdict – vegetable protein, contained in nuts and seeds, is safer for heart and vascular health than the one contained in meat. 

The researchers watched the health of 81 thousand people, and found out that constant consumption of animal protein increases the risk of cardiovascular disease by 60%. On the other hand, such a risk is only 40% for people who eat vegetable protein.

The research
 

The latest scientific work conducted by a team of American and French experts, showed that a trace element of animal origin is 20% more dangerous for the work of the cardiovascular system than the one that is found in nuts and seeds.

Scientists from Loma Linda University in California and the Institut National de la Recherche Agronomique in Paris have found out that people who consumed significant amounts of meat experienced an increased risk of heart disease. It was published in the International Journal of Epidemiology. After collecting data from 80K patients it turned out that those who ate more meat experienced a 60 per cent increase in risk for heart diseases. This proves the theory of Gary Fraser – the main research responsible physician from Loma Linda University, about the positive effect of nuts and seeds on heart health.

What does protein do?

A human body needs two dozen amino acids that are involved in cell division. Among them 12 are produced directly in the body, and the rest comes with food. These elements can be found in proteins that form muscles that promote the development of immunity, development of cells, and transmission of nerve impulses.
 
Proteins are found in plants, but in a smaller amount than in meat and dairy products. The MedicaForum Portal has learned that a trace element of animal origin comes into the body with a harmful addition in the form of cholesterol and fats having negative effect on the body. These “guests” increase the risk of developing various diseases of the cardiovascular system, occurrence of blood clots in blood vessels and heart attacks, also contributing to extra weight. And the research we are discussing showed that animal protein enhance the likelihood of such problems by 60%, and vegetable – by 40%.

Advantages of vegetable protein

Some doctors and dietitians think that vegetable protein is imperfect, but this is a great misconception. The advantages of vegetable protein are obvious: it strengthens immunity, prevents colds, prevents cancer, saturates body with fiber, restores natural microflora, does not contain cholesterol, and it is absorbed easily and quickly. It improves metabolism, normalizes digestion, relieves constipation, improves cardiovascular function , prevents atherosclerosis, normalizes the process of hematopoiesis, prevents diabetes, stimulates reproductive system, protects against obesity, improves condition of the skin, hair and nails.

However, do not be upset if you are very fond of meat. You can eat meat (preferably dietary varieties), but at the same time add a large side dish of green salad with vegetables. Eat more beans, asparagus, spinach, nuts and other vegetable sources of protein without refusing meat. And if you no longer eat meat, then congratulations, there are more and more new scientific studies to prove you are right.

Google AdWords

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *