Almost 80% of all people with MS (multiple sclerosis) diagnosis are suffering from fatigue, lack of energy from day to day. This leads to disruption of normal human activity and worsens the quality of life. What to do to minimize or avoid that state?
Image Credit: Medicalxpress.com
People with MS often face 3 types of fatigue:
- emotional (when it is difficult to force themselves to do something, motivation is insufficient);
- mental (inability to keep information in mind and concentrate on the task);
- physical (body resistance to any kind of physical activity).
If you have one of these types of MS fatigue on a permanent basis, do not lose hope and just follow the following recommendations.
Physical Exercises Are Extremely Important
Research studies show that a physical component, as a daily routine, is the most efficient way among of all other known methods to combat MS fatigue.
Doing some kind of aerobic (especially, water aerobics), strengthening and flexibility exercises may give you energy for the whole working day. The only rule is, do not make your workouts too exhausting. While doing this, you should not copy Arnold Schwarzenegger`s style, but you need to:
- control your body temperature (drink a lot of water during this period, use wet towels; also, do not forget about the air conditioning indoors – it is important),
- have enough breaks to recover;
- wear only light clothing made of natural fabric.
The best time for exercising is morning, when it is not so hot outside. Moreover, you will have enough energy for the rest of the day.
Besides, such practices as yoga, meditation, breathing techniques are good addition to your main exercise. They help you alleviate stress and get away from the negative thoughts.
Use Different Managing Techniques
Many stresses that influence our nervous system may cause mental fatigue. To avoid that, solving a specific problem is not enough, you should analyse how to prevent (if it is possible) such a situation in the future. The recommendation is to use the following time management rules.
- you should do all difficult tasks in the morning (at that time you have enough energy to complete them without calmly),
- plan your next day and write all important notes on a piece of paper (this helps you not to miss anything important),
- ask somebody to help you (whether it is your husband/child/friend or a housemaid) with your household duties. Why not? “All is fair in love and war.”
- there should be enough time for night sleep and small naps in your daily plan.
Use Medications Recommended by Your Doctor
If none of these plans worked, ask your doctor about additional or alternative treatments. It may be some kind of therapy or medications to ease your fatigue. However, be prepared to monitor possible side effects of using medications and do your own “research” on how these drugs influence your mood and health status.
Just remember, not all medications may help you. Every person has their own fatigue prerequisites and state of health. If your acquaintances had good results by using specific pharmaceuticals, this does not mean you’ll have the same. So, do not make such decisions by yourself, consult with your doctor.
Find your own inspiration. It may be traveling, walking near the lake, having a picnic or even writing books. In general, do that thing that makes you feel happy. Some may find their inspiration in reading articles about aliens or dancing tango in the middle of the street. Why not, if it gives you positive feelings and helps to avoid stress. Moreover, surround yourself with the people who make the smile appear on your face, then, negative emotions will not have a chance to worsen your health.