Almost 80% of all people with MS (multiple sclerosis) diagnosis are suffering from fatigue, lack of energy from day to day. This leads to disruption of normal human activity and worsens the quality of life. What to do to minimize or avoid that state?
People with MS often face 3 types of fatigue:
- emotional (when it is difficult to force themselves to do something, motivation is insufficient);
- mental (inability to keep information in mind and concentrate on the task);
- physical (body resistance to any kind of physical activity).
Physical Exercises Are Extremely ImportantResearch studies show that a physical component, as a daily routine, is the most efficient way among of all other known methods to combat MS fatigue. Doing some kind of aerobic (especially, water aerobics), strengthening and flexibility exercises may give you energy for the whole working day. The only rule is, do not make your workouts too exhausting. While doing this, you should not copy Arnold Schwarzenegger`s style, but you need to:
- control your body temperature (drink a lot of water during this period, use wet towels; also, do not forget about the air conditioning indoors – it is important),
- have enough breaks to recover;
- wear only light clothing made of natural fabric.
Use Different Managing TechniquesMany stresses that influence our nervous system may cause mental fatigue. To avoid that, solving a specific problem is not enough, you should analyse how to prevent (if it is possible) such a situation in the future. The recommendation is to use the following time management rules.
- you should do all difficult tasks in the morning (at that time you have enough energy to complete them without calmly),
- plan your next day and write all important notes on a piece of paper (this helps you not to miss anything important),
- ask somebody to help you (whether it is your husband/child/friend or a housemaid) with your household duties. Why not? “All is fair in love and war.”
- there should be enough time for night sleep and small naps in your daily plan.