Meditation is a trance state of rest and relaxation for the body. This is the cessation of mental work and mental movements producing negative thoughts and tension. As many people are in constant dialogue with their negative thoughts, meditation is often considered to be a way of stopping the thoughts.People have been practicing meditation for thousands of years. Why has it happened? What does meditation give us? Meditation gives us a lot of benefits, which are proved by many researches.
1. Meditation helps to overcome depressionMeditation increases the level of serotonin, which is a natural hormone of happiness. Serotonin affects more than the 86 billion of the brain cells. It plays a key role in the transmission of nerve impulses from one part of the brain to the other. It influences our mood, helps to achieve the state of happiness and satisfaction. Increase of serotonin is extremely important for the treatment of depression, which is characterized by a low level of the hormone in the cerebral cortex. A study conducted at the University of Montreal showed that regular meditation increases serotonin level in the brain. Scientists found out that when we meditate the cells of our brain get more chemical substances for the production of serotonin. During meditation our brain reaches a special state when it is able to produce the new cells and make us feel happier and healthier. (4 more ways to increase the level of serotonin).
2. No stress, no anxietyThe aim of many people, who start practicing meditation, is to reduce stress level. Meditation solves this problem easily. You can find many methods of meditation, which can help you fight with stress and anxiety. For example, Jon Kobat-Zinn created a new type of meditation MBSR or mindfulness-based stress reduction. The purpose of this method is to reduce the level of stress (physical and mental) of a particular person. The research showed that the level of anxiety of the people who practiced this method reduced greatly even after a basic eight-week course. The scientists also found out that such “mindfulness meditation” reduces stress more effective in comparison with the meditation techniques based on breath control. (More about “mindfulness meditation”).
3. Increase attention and concentrationNot only children suffer from the lack of concentration, sometimes adults also face such a problem. People who practice meditation claim they have better attention and can easily concentrate on the things they need. A recent study showed that just two weeks of everyday meditation is enough to show a great result. Meditation teaches us to focus our attention on some particular things, and it is obvious that it should enhance people’s cognitive skills. (More about improving attention with the help of meditation).
4. Meditation can be a good way to stop smokingMindful meditation can help people to stop smoking. The scientists from the National Institute on Drug Abuse proved that statement. They found out that meditation can reduce the subconscious urges that cause craving for cigarettes, because it teaches us to gain self-control. Usually people who smoke have the least activity in brain areas associated with self-control, and meditative practices strengthen self-control without much effort. (For more information visit).
5. Meditation instead of beauty careThe sociologists of Charles University, Prague, studied the influence of meditation on the age of the organism. The background for the study was the well-known opinion that people in the East leave longer and look younger in comparison with the people in the West. They found out that during meditation our body fights the hormone of ageing. Almost three thousand respondents showed a lower physiological age — almost ten years less than the chronological age. (For more information visit).
As you can see meditation can have a great influence on our body, brain and even appearance. It helps us to be happy and ready to live longer life. It is an incredible tool that can change our life for the best!