Overweight and obesity determine weight ranges that are higher than normal healthy weight for a particular height. These terms identify the weight ranges which increase the risk of many health problems. Obesity affects millions of people worldwide. Modern life is rather stressful which takes every minute of our life people ignore their precious health. Still many people do not realize the seriousness of the health condition. According to the statistical data 66% of US residents over 20 years old are considered overweight. The struggle with overweight and obesity is actually compounded by the unhealthy food largely marketed. This food contains lots of harmful additives and chemicals which make the body deposit fats. The body keeps storing fat and people become obese. We consume more and more wrong calories. Video games proliferation promotes sedentary lifestyle. Children prefer to stay at home and play computer games rather than go out and take part in physical activities. We do not promote active lifestyle for children and ourselves. Most people choose convenient foods rather than cooking healthy meals. We prefer to eat out and totally forget to opt for healthy food. While most people are well aware of overweight and obesity, only a few of them know the health problems related to obesity. Obesity can cause any of the diseases described further in the article.
- Cardiovascular diseases: obese people generally have high levels of cholesterol which can lead to various heart problems.
- Endocrine disorders: obesity can cause menstrual disturbances or even infertility.
- Gastrointestinal problems: Fatty liver, hernias, colorectal cancer and gallstones.
- Genitourinary and renal: uterine cancer, erectile dysfunction, chronic renal failure, urinary incontinence, breast cancer.
- Integument: cellulitis, lymphedema and stretch marks.
- Musculoskeletal: low back pain, immobility, osteoarthritis.
- Neurological: headache, stroke, carpal tunnel syndrome.
- Respiratory: sleep apnea, asthma, hyperventilation syndrome, Pickwickian syndrome.
- Psychological factors: people suffering from overweight or obesity often get depressed and are trapped in overeating; depression makes people eat more in an attempt to improve the mood. Thus, many individuals trying to lose weight put on much more.
There are effective weight loss programs, helping to keep the normal weight and stay healthy. We all should take active steps to enhance our lives and help other people who get in jeopardy. In most cases fixing your diet plan and following a strict exercise program it is possible to move far in the battle against overweight and obesity. Some people might hope that some magical pills or surgeries are better solutions to the problem but in reality these methods can significantly damage your health and put your life in even more jeopardy.