Bipolar disorder is a manic-depressive disease which does not only affect the sufferers but it also produces a severe effect on friends and family. Diagnosis on early stages may be very helpful in combating such a severe mental illness.
As a matter of fact the disorder might become more severe without diagnosis and in some cases can result in suicide. Basically bipolar disorder affects 2 million adults in the US every year. If you suppose someone is experiencing bipolar disorder, you should take him or her to visit the doctor.
– Long preventative therapy is required in coping with bipolar disorder due to the fact that it belongs to the group of recurrent illnesses. Stopping the psychological treatment or the administration of medications might cause regression with returning mood swings typical for the disorder.
– If someone of your friends or relatives suffers from a bipolar disorder, it is necessary to make them see the psychiatrist but not just a general physician, though the general practitioner will refer BD sufferers to an expert in the sphere that will manage to offer you necessary professional help, information and support so that to cope with bipolar disorder.
– Actually, there are drugs commonly called mood stabilizers and people who are suffering from bipolar disorder are usually prescribed these medications by the doctor. As a rule, patients will have to use these drugs for the whole life due to the fact that bipolar disease is a recurrent problem. At times other medications are combined together with the above mentioned mood stabilizers. However this treatment will last only for a short time period.
– Coping with bipolar disorder you need a treatment to be combined with drugs which should be administered in one or several sessions. There is also another option which is to attend the classes of group therapy. Talking to someone who knows the patient’s troubles, the support needed for every patient can lead to an advantageous outcome. You need to consult your doctor before attending group talks.
– You are to be ready for the worst in an attempt of coping with bipolar disorder. Remember that bipolar disease means permanent ups and downs. Many commit suicide as they think it is the only possible way out. Always be prepared to call 911 in case you think that this is the case. And do not be afraid you are wasting their precious time if your friend or family member is having a down period! If you don’t call, the outcomes might be much worse.