“We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same.” ― Carlos Castaneda
Why are daily habits so important?Healthy lifestyle and habits has the same effect on life expectancy as living conditions and heredity, or even more. All of us know in theory, that smoking and overeating is bad, but continues doing this. In this article we’ll look at daily habits. What is crucial to understand – it’s impossible just to give up vicious habits. To prolong your life, you need to substitute bad habits with healthier ones and step by step you’ll be able to transform your life into its better, healthier and happier version. The main components of success are regularity and consistency. These simple actions are desirable to do every day. Small but regular steps create big positive changes.
Good habits for physical healthThe first group of habits will make you healthy and vigorous.
- Do not eat before going to bed. This habit is one of your health’s greatest keepers. It is best to completely limit food after 7 pm or at least 4 hours before sleep.
- Go to bed early and get up early. Sleep at least 7 hours. It’s interesting that almost 90% of outstanding people got up at 4-6 in the morning – it let them follow the natural rhythm of the universe and achieve great results.
- Drink enough water throughout the day. At least 1.5 liters. Teas, juices and other drinks are not a substitute.
- Exercise! Or go to the gym. If you cannot or do not like it, just start running. At least 2-3 times a week for 30 minutes minimum. It’s highly recommended by WHO in Global Strategy on Diet, Physical Activity and Health.
- Take contrast shower: start with warm water, then hot, then cold, then hot again, change hot and cold water regime several times. Finish with cold water and then rub yourself with a towel. The degree of contrast should be gradually increased.
- Meditate – this is a very important habit and the favorite one of Steve Jobs! Do it after all morning exercises. In fact, in the modern urban rhythm, we have completely forgotten how to relax and are almost always tense that systematically destroys us. Even 10 minutes of daily relaxation in the most wonderful way will affect your nervous system, tone and health. Even 5-minute meditation will do.
Good habits for mental and spiritual healthThe next group of habits will develop thinking, memory, increase your stock of knowledge, broaden your horizons and gain new skills and competences. A smartphone is a great device to work on this group of useful habits – it is a perfect tool for self-development if to use it for benefit, not for entertainment.
- Learn a foreign language – at least 15 minutes, but every day. Besides improved knowledge of foreign language, it will be a very good brain and memory training (here is the recent study in the Journal of Experimantal Child Psychology). Learn 2-3 new words every day, exercise grammar and listening. There are many great applications both on Google Play and AppStore.
- Watch inspiring movies and videos. Give yourself 30 minutes for daily watching of useful movies and videos. Watch 2-3 films weekly, it’s fun and use.
- Do not postpone what can be done quickly. All that can be done within 2-10 minutes, get used to doing right away, without delaying “in the long box”. Such tasks can emerge a lot every day, and then they accumulate much more effort and time.
- Create a list of goals and stick to it. To move faster in any direction, you need to create a list of your current and long-term wishes and goals. After that, look through them daily: read aloud or listen to audio recording, visualize. It takes quite a bit of time, but the effect is terrific. For more tips on this read here.
- Keep a record of income and expenses. Yeah, it can be the hardest habit to develop… But, as successful and rich people say: “Money does not tolerate negligence”. If you want to take control of your finances and create conditions for a permanent increase in well-being – you will have to do it. Daily count income and expenses. Analyze and optimize items of expenditure, etc. There are many programs and mobile applications to automate this process.
- Allocate time to family and friends. Always, every day, try to make sure that you schedule time for your family members and friends. Call, meet, talk, plan, play with children, etc. It’s priceless.