Is it possible to practice yoga when you suffer from scoliosis? Scoliosis is a very common condition nowadays that involves deviations and can cause bad pain and disability in everyday life.
It is important to understand that the compilation of yoga practice for scoliosis is very individual for each person. After examining the simplest classification and learning how the spine can change, it can be concluded that two identical types of scoliosis are almost impossible to meet.
This can be explained in the following way: curvature in different parts of the spine influences the formation of numerous pathologies of internal organs, changes in the chest, numerous muscles in the spine and bones of the upper and lower extremities, the body begins to deform internally and externally, but not in a single pattern. Only having studied the case, the yoga therapist will understand the right approach to help the patient.
But still there can be a general approach in understanding how to compile a yoga set for scoliosis, what the precautions should be.
Hatha Yoga in Scoliosis
Below there are general patterns and precautions in the practice of hatha yoga for scoliosis.
General patterns and precautions for yoga for scoliosis
- Extremely symmetrical intensive practice. This practice is allowed for people with scoliosis of the first degree 1-2 times a week, if they are familiar with asanas, which they should not perform and with those in which they need to make asymmetry. However, it should be bared in mind that this practice is not only unlikely to improve the existing condition of the spine, but it also can aggravate the problem, because with intensive dynamic practice, consciously paying attention to the features of your body is quite difficult.
- Twisting. The parts of the spine are not separated from each other and are twisted relative to each other against the background of already existing disorders in the spine.
- Inverted asanas. There is a compression load on the spine in such asanas.
- Deflections. Here, the muscles of the back (superficial and deep) can overstrain, which can cause them significant harm, and aggravate the scoliosis even more.
Yoga Therapy for Scoliosis
Let’s define, what qualities are necessary to develop with the help of yoga in scoliosis:
- mindfulness when working with the body;
- practice of deep relaxation;
- diaphragmatic breathing and asymmetrical breathing;
- develop the habit to keep an eye on the body and adjust the postures in everyday life (in sitting position at dinner or at the computer, use pads under the pelvis, work with the feet in a standing position, for example, when washing dishes, choose the optimal position for sleep);
- mobility of the musculoskeletal system;
- leg muscles – feet, legs, thighs, as well as muscles of the buttocks, pelvic floor and abdomen.
To achieve the above goals, we use the this video of hatha yoga for mild scoliosis and healthy back, breathing techniques and asanas, positively influencing the back.
We should also remember that healing is not a physical act: it affects the deep layers of the mind and spirit. Throughout the life, we face difficulties that, like our twisted spine, can become painful obstacles. Yoga comes to the rescue, which helps to get rid of many problems. Practice yoga and be healthier and happier!